Conflict
CODECO Hits DRC Mine

Four people have been killed and two Chinese workers gone missing after soldiers and militiamen battled over a mine in troubled eastern DRC, the army said on Friday.
The CODECO militia attacked a Chinese-managed mining site in Mungbwalu village, Ituri province, overnight on Wednesday, army spokesman Lieutenant Jules Ngongo told AFP.
Militiamen killed three miners in the attack and kidnapped four Chinese workers. But the army staged a counter-attack and managed to free two of the captives, Ngongo said.
"We lost a soldier, who succumbed to his wounds," he added.
Innocent Madukadala, the chief of a group of villages in the Mungbwalu area, confirmed that the army had freed two Chinese men.
The status of the missing two Chinese is unclear, however.
Armed groups often fight for control of mines in gold-rich Ituri, which has been plagued by militia violence for years.
Attacks on Chinese-managed mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo also appear to have increased of late. Two Chinese nationals were killed in a mine attack in Ituri in November.
The CODECO -- the name for the Cooperative for the Development of the Congo -- is a political-religious sect that claims to represent the interests of the Lendu ethnic group.
It is considered one of the deadliest of over 120 militias operating in the eastern DRC, blamed for a number of ethnic massacres in Ituri.
Last year, the Congolese government placed security officials in charge of the administration of Ituri and neighboring North Kivu province in a bid to curb violence.
The measure has failed to stop attacks.
See all News Updates of the Day
Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa
Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues
Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC
The Southern African Development Community or SADC said Thursday that a summit of regional heads of state had terminated the mandate of its troop deployment in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo and decided on a "phased withdrawal." SADC lost more than a dozen soldiers in conflict in January. The 16-nation bloc took the decision at a virtual summit on the conflict in the area that has seen some three decades of unrest and claimed millions of lives. "Summit terminated the Mandate of SAMIDRC and directed the commencement of a phased withdrawal of SAMIDRC troops from the DRC," the Southern African bloc said in a communique after the summit. The SADC Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, SAMIDRC, — made up of soldiers from Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa — was sent to the region in December 2023 to help the government of the DRC, also a SADC member, restore peace and security. SADC extended its mandate late last year.
Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets
University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens
University students in Bukavu, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, are gradually returning to class for the first time since M23 rebels took their city last month. Toto Mufungizi, a student, said while they were home “during these months, we have endured many strange things.” “We stayed at home for at least one month and three weeks. We were confined due to this security situation. Even today, there is no serenity, we cannot move around safely," he told Reuters. The M23 rebel group captured Bukavu, South Kivu's capital, in mid-February, forcing a weeks-long suspension of academic activities. The Official University of Bukavu, UOB, and other institutions have now reopened, but security concerns persist. "We are afraid because we heard rumors that in Goma, students were kidnapped. Here, we are also afraid," third-year student Patient Kaliwe said. Some information for this report was provided by Reuters.